The town of Livingston, Tennessee in Overton County began in 1833 when Joseph and Ambrose Gore deeded forty acres to the Commissioners for a town to be known as Livingston. Fourteen years later, in 1847, a congregation of the church of Christ was organized with 6 to 8 families. The first building was on West Broad Street and was a large long building with a big open fireplace. This building was burned down during the Civil war by Union Army soldiers because the brethren allowed the Confederate Army to use it as a temporary hospital. For the next thirty years, the church met in various town buildings and homes. In December of 1893 the church began meeting in a new frame building on West Broad Street. In 1962, a lot was purchased at 215 East Main Street and the present building was completed in 1963. The auditorium was expanded in 1986 and classrooms and offices were remodeled. In 1987, the congregation averaged 445 in attendance on Sunday morning. In 1995, a separate fellowship/classroom facility was completed and designated "The Windham building" in memory of faithful members, Tom and Lucille Windham.